(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Metronomic Chemo


Millie and I made our way back over to U of I this morning.  Much to our delight, we were only in there for bloodwork.  While we were waiting a gentleman in his late 60's or early 70's was talking to the receptionists about payment.  He mentioned that he was also there to pick up a carrier.  After the payment portion was figured out, a staff member brought up a small carrier (something I would put my cats in, but it may have been for a small dog) with a fluffy pink blanket in it.  He carefully took it and immediately began sobbing.  Heart-wrenching.  While U of I can be really, really depressing at times, I try to remind myself that we as pet owners are only here because we want to do something more for our pets.  That, my friends, is something worth thinking about and something to feel good about.

Later in the afternoon they called to share the good news.  Millie's bloodwork was normal.  She could start metronomic chemo today!  Good timing because her drugs just arrived in yesterday's mail.

While preparing her dinner I thought I'd quickly read through the instructions and give her the meds.  Nope.  One should be given with food, and the other two on an empty stomach.  One of the three I need to wear gloves when I give it to her.  I gotta tell you, giving your dog something that is toxic enough to require you to wear gloves is an odd feeling.  I know her IV chemo is quite toxic, but I'm never there when they prepare or administer it.  I suspect this part of the instructions is just to be cautious, but still...weird feeling.  Give your dog something toxic to kill something else toxic in her body.

I don't know if she'll have any side effects from metronomic chemo, but she seems to have done well with the new IV chemo drug.  We are one week in.  She had one day of diarrhea, but nothing a little metronidazole couldn't fix.  God, is there anything better than that miracle?!  If I could marry metronidazole I just might.

Millie continues to get just about anything she wants.  She's had breakfast with me each day this week & is taking quite the shining to Einstein bagels.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment