(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Shitty Day - Pun Intended

What a shitty day.  Seriously.

I left Millie at home today (rather than taking her to work) & half contemplated going to pick up some marrow bones for the girls this evening.  As I got in my car at the end of the day I decided to skip out.  I have been fighting a cold for a few days, was up late last night, and my allergies were killing me.  I needed a nap.  The bones could wait.

I walked in the door and...smelled it.  Without hesitating I assumed it was Sugar.  She has the world's most sensitive stomach.  If she gets anything out her normal food groups, she gets sick.  As luck would have it, and because Sugar is an amazing dog - when she does get sick, she will vomit/poop on the linoleum right next to the door.  I walked over to the usual...um...lucky spot? and nothing.  A handful of times she's actually gotten sick in the bathtub, so I go check there.  Nothing.  My room?  Nothing.  Living room?  Nothing.  The only room left was Millie's room.  Holy mother of diarrhea.  This was not the worst I have ever seen her (my friend Kara got to see that in action when she was petsitting for me a few years ago), but this was easily a close second. She wasn't exactly a chocolate Lab, but she was close.  Her bed was destroyed.  Thankfully (although what I'm about to say usually isn't prefaced with thankfully) the diarrhea was mostly blasted on the wall, and not on the carpet.  Thanks to the paint, the wall is much easier to clean than the carpet.  I knew she needed to go out immediately, and then get a bath....but how was I going to spare the carpet on the way?  


I was mostly done with her second shampoo when Evan called to see how my afternoon went.  He was on his way home from work and offered to come over to help.  I mean, seriously, this guy is amazing.  He walked 5 miles to come help clean diarrhea.  This guy is good stuff.

Millie had another few potty breaks outside & not much was improving.  She was super drooly, so I could tell she was nauseous too.  To top it off we had another "string cheese" incident of sorts.  I gave her a dose of metronidazole.  Again, this stuff is basically magic!

We cleaned the crate, walls & bathroom, and we also did laundry.  I carried the poo filled bed to the dumpster...oh those poor garbage men...  Four hours later and the house was mostly back together.  I went out to buy chicken and rice and also grab a new bed for Mil while Evan had diarrhea watch.  On the way I called U of I and spoke to one of the staff oncologists.  I had never met her personally, but she absolutely knew Millie.  She said she was concerned that the metronomic chemo was too much for her (on top of the IV chemo), and that was what made her sick.  However, she couldn't be sure.  She suggested I not give the metronomic chemo for a few days and then give it another try.  In the meantime, feed a bland diet, continue with metronidazole, and try Cerenia (Wismer, thank goodness you gave me some today) to help settle her stomach.  As we are on the phone Millie vomited all over her new bed.  At that point I want to say the bed had been on the floor for all of four minutes.  Mother!

For now, it is a wait & see.  Her temp is normal, she hasn't vomited in several hours, and has also not had any emergency trips outside.  She clearly feels pretty crappy, but I can't blame her.  She was trapped with nowhere to poop but on herself for three hours.  

Her chicken and rice is cooked and cooling - ready for her breakfast tomorrow.  Only time will tell if the metronomic caused this.  I certainly want to give her every treatment I can, but I will not do that if this is the result.  

...and with that said, a certain adorable Mastiff is ready for some cuddles.  





No comments:

Post a Comment