(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Baytril, Baytril, Baytril!


Sunday evening Millie and Sugar were cuddled up on the dog bed (yes, they finally lay on the crib mattress dog bed!!) together.  Millie was being extra cute and very snuggly.  Poor Sugar was being pushed out of the bed & wasn't all that thrilled.  A short while later Millie suddenly got off of the bed & laid on the floor.  I noticed Sugar inch down & start to smell a wet spot.  Yup, urine.  Awesome.  Poor Mil was so embarrassed.  I wiped her up & threw the cover (yay waterproof mattress pad!) into the wash.  She seemed to feel fine & slept through the night without asking to go out...well, maybe once...I honestly can't remember now.  Anyway, if she did ask to go out, it was only once.

Monday afternoon I came home from lunch to grab a urine sample to bring to her regular veterinarian.  The urine I collected had...dischargey...eww...floaters.  That can't be good.  Sure enough, my friend Ashley, the office manager & technician at the clinic, called to let me know Mil had another raging UTI.  The sample had red and white blood cells, and too many to count.  In short, it was much worse than her last raging UTI.  My poor girl.  We talked a bit about the timing of the UTI as well.  Her last UTI was just about a month ago, and we confirmed it one day after her second round of chemo.  I had a suspicion that since the chemo was suppressing her immune system, she would be more susceptible to getting UTIs.  They agreed.  On another note, but also related, Millie is basically a UTI waiting to happen -- on a good day.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say she gets one every 3-5 months.  Her girly bits are a little...malformed...so she gets them at the drop of a hat.  That or vaginitis.  This is why she gets wiped with a baby wipe every single time she pees.  Anyway, since Millie was due to U of I the next day for recheck bloodwork, and because the UTI was so nasty, her regular vet wanted to touch base with U of I RE:  treatment.  Our resident was not in, but I spoke to one of the chemo techs.  They wanted Millie in first thing for a cystocentesis (veterinary procedure where a needle is placed into the bladder through the abdomen & a sample of urine is removed) and recheck bloodwork.  They would culture the urine sample to determine the best antibiotic to use.

Today was a bit rough for Stink.  We woke up early & she wasn't quite sure why I wasn't understanding her requests to go outside.  She patiently waited by the door & eagerly wagged her tail when I walked by.  When Sugar got her walk Millie was sure she was next.  I literally ran her out to the car & into the clinic so she didn't get one chance to squat.  U of I was running behind (how you are behind at 8:30am baffles me), and I thought Mil was going to explode.  She was pacing & whimpering (and probably didn't appreciate the picture I took of her -- see above -- in her anguish *side note, the flash makes her look old...sad face*).  Finally, they took her back.  When they returned, I immediately took her outside & I swear she peed for five minutes.  The culture should come back in 4-5 days, so in the meantime she is on Baytril (our usual UTI warrior).

In all honesty, with the exception of the excruciating wait this morning, she seems to feel great.  Poor Stink & her malformed lady bits.




No comments:

Post a Comment