(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Karma Visits

On Friday evening, Karma came to stay for the weekend.  Karma is my friend's 10 month old Pit Bull puppy.  She's been coming to visit since she was a baby, when her mom found her in a cardboard box at a gas station (she was roughly 5 weeks old).  Generally speaking, Millie is not a fan of other dogs.  Well, that isn't exactly true....Millie is a fan of them so long as they agree that Millie will forever be the boss.  Her signature move is to run up to a new "friend", chest bump them to knock them off balance & then bite their back.  As they crumple to the ground, she stands over them.  What a bruiser, right?  So, back to Karma....  I wanted Millie to be able to have a dog friend, but since Karma was itty bitty...the traditional throw down wasn't going to work.  So, we started very slowly....

Baby Karma
 Itty bitty Pittie & Millie

Karma would come stay the weekend, or just overnight a few times a month.  Slowly, Millie started to realize that the puppy (while annoying at times), could also be quite fun.  Sugar is excellent with puppies, and disciplines annoying pups with appropriate responses (a growl, rather than biting off her head).  Over time, Karma became a member of our family.  So much so, that they would have cuddle parties and play.  

Here's a video of Karma & Millie playing in November 2011 (when Karm was about 
5 months old & Millie had four legs.  


Before this weekend, my girls hadn't seen Karma in a few months.  I was a little worried that we'd be back to square one.  I was also concerned about Millie being extra bossy as a result of the amputation.  When I brought Karma in, you could see Sugar's joy.  She had perky ears, was wagging her tail, and doing play bows left and right.  Millie was barking from her crate, so I let her out & reminded her to be careful.  Poor Karm got sniffed up one side & down the other.  Luckily, everything went well.  At one point, Karma jumped on Millie to encourage her to play.  However, she landed right on Millie's amputation site.  I don't think it hurt Millie, but she certainly wanted to let Karma know that was not okay.  Millie growled & Karma listened.  I was proud of both of them -- Millie for giving an appropriate response & Karma for respecting it.  After that, we were good to go.  

What usually happens is Millie will play with Karma inside, but not outside & Sugar will do the opposite.  I had to make a trip to St. Joseph to mow for my parents, so I decided to bring the crew with me.  My girls love playing in Nana & Nampa's backyard, and I figured it was a quick way to wear out a 10 month old Pit Bull puppy.
Packed and ready to go

 Karma loves the St. Joe yard too!

Karma & Sugar were having too much fun, so the fun police (Millie) came to break it up.  On a side note, Millie looks ripped in this picture.

Another "must have" of the St. Joe house -- bark at Gabe, the neighbor's Labrador.  
*Also note the thick drool slinger developing*

Karma definitely thinks of Millie as a cool kid.  Any chance she gets, she's glued to Mil.

Enjoying the sunshine.

Karma taking out Sugar.

My favorite picture from the afternoon!

Nerd is rolling in ....something...

Pretty puppy

Millie relaxing while Karma continues to roll in...something...

After playtime, I came back to the house to do some baking.  The cake I was making called for peanut butter, and Millie happily helped with clean-up.  Look at that mug!

Saturday was the two month anniversary of Millie's amputation.  Not a bad way to spend it, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Everyone is looking great! I don't think I knew Karma's history, but she sure was our star in Puppy E. She's looking great, and it's not hard to see how she won Millie over. And congrats to you for the patient hard work in developing that friendship! I'd like Dax to be able to make some more doggie friends like that.

    ReplyDelete