(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Baby Steps

Millie and I both had big milestones this weekend.  She is gaining confidence on three legs & I...wait for it...actually left her for a bit.  Since she has had her surgery, I basically have refused to leave her.  The one time I did, for 10 minutes to run Evan to work, we both freaked.  Millie was whining & panting in the crate & I was basically doing the same in the car.  Millie has never had any separation anxiety, so her freak out was totally new territory.  I suspect she is still just unsure of herself & not a fan of the e-collar.  She is getting stronger in her right rear & her gate is more fluid, but she still has trouble sitting, squatting, or laying down exactly how she wants to.  She can't really do these things in an open room, let alone in a crate with a giant e-collar on.  

I hate the thought of leaving her in a panic state for a second, but I also don't want to encourage separation anxiety.  Baby steps.  Friends of Evan & mine invited us to a game night.  It sounded like fun, but I still was unsure about leaving Mil.  Evan very kindly pointed my laptop towards Millie's crate & we Skyped called her.  We muted the microphone so Millie couldn't hear us, but I was able to keep an eye on her while we played Catch Phrase.  She sat up & panted the entire time, but both of us lived (me - just barely).  I only lasted three rounds & needed to go back home.  Poor Millie was exhausted.  Her e-collar was full of drool drips.  After a potty break, she settled in next to me & passed out.  

Today was a beautifully sunny day.  Hallie found the sun spot in the living room & settled in to soak up the heat.  



Millie is still on basically bed rest.  She will be on pretty strict rest until 2 weeks after the date of surgery.  Over the next few weeks, I'll be able to increase her activity somewhat.  I need to remember to keep in mind that she'll wear out quickly (not from chemo, but from her body getting used to only using three legs), and that uneven ground will be difficult to navigate.  I've been told that it could take up to 4 weeks before she will be really comfortable on three legs.  The biggest thing now is to support her when she squats, goes up the one stair in/out of the apartment, starts to get tired, etc.  I should be extra careful & not let her fall for two reasons -- 1.  Clearly, it will hurt.  2.  It will bruise her confidence & set her back mentally.  So far, so good.

The bruising around her incision has faded considerably.  She still has some deep coloration in spots, but overall - the difference is incredible.  She still has quite a bit of fluid along her abdomen, but I expect that will continue to be slowly reabsorbed.  We've been doing warm compresses & keeping her inactive, so I expect she'll look as good as new shortly.




Sugar has been a great sport about Millie's extra attention, but she's about over it.  She is very kind to Millie & very careful not to lay on or near Millie's incision.  However, this amputation business is old news to her.  She's ready to go on long walks & get her spot back on the bed.  She snagged Millie's "get well soon" bone & couldn't be happier.  




No comments:

Post a Comment