(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Sunday, February 12, 2012

She's Got This

Tomorrow marks Millie's suture removal & first day of chemotherapy.  She has really come a long way since her amputation.  She is getting better and better on three legs!


She's still a little clingy, but I can't really blame her.  We've all had a rough couple of weeks.  She's getting up on her own to get a drink when the mood strikes, has jumped on the couch unassisted (AKA:  I didn't want her doing this & she was too fast for me to stop her), is barking at the mail person again (I'm sure she appreciates this just as much as she used to), etc.

She almost 100% off of her pain meds.  I'm still giving her some Tramadol as needed (maybe once or twice a day -- when I feel like she's uncomfortable).  She's got a pretty incredible pain tolerance, but I can't imagine she'd be healed a week and a half after amputation.  It just doesn't sound plausible.  So, really...I'm giving her pain meds because I feel like she probably wouldn't mind having some.  Eh, it is a learning process I guess.

As Millie heals, I am getting better about leaving her.  I've gone to the store & actually shopped rather than grabbing one item, impatiently waiting in line, and speeding home.  I've gone out to a movie, met my parents for breakfast, and even taken a nap at Evan's house once.

This past Friday Millie's surgeon called to let me know that leg biopsy results.  When they amputated her leg, they sent the whole darn thing to pathology.  The tumor site came back positive for osteosarcoma.  Shocker.  Okay, I realize this is a bit bratty, but what the heck did they expect?  I mean,  on one hand, it's nice to have a second positive biopsy result, but...  I guess they just need to give the whole report.  Anyway, the lymph  node/s closest to the site of the tumor were free of cancer.  I took this as a plus.  The surgeon said the same thing, but she also said that I need to remember that the cancer usually spreads to the lungs before it spreads to the lymphatic system.  So, it isn't a giant plus, but it certainly isn't a bad thing.  I'll take it!  The cancer originated under her TPLO plate.  There are two ways to look at this -- 1.  The implant caused the cancer.  Implants have been shown to be associated with the start of cancer.  2.  It is complete coincidence that the cancer started under the plate.  Osteosarcoma is most often found in the tibia, in the hock (wrist), or shoulder.  Honestly, I don't really care which is which.  There is no way to prove either, and I don't think I'd care to know.  She has cancer - no matter how she got it, she has it.  Also, I would never not do the TPLO.  If Sugar needed it tomorrow, I would do it.  Millie's two TPLOs gave her a life she never would have had without them.  Until, if there ever is, a different way to fix a torn cruciate ligament (without using an implant) - I'll be the biggest TPLO fan out there.

Now a few pictures....

I love how her extra skin puddles.

 Breakfast in bed!

"Really?  This has gone a touch too far don't ya think?"

Auntie Kolleen came for a visit & some snuggles.

 Pretty pretty Piper.

Incision as of 2/12/12 -- getting furry!



1 comment:

  1. oh she looks soooo good!!! You'll have to let me know how she's doing after chemo and who you had(student and clinician). If you have Dr. Garrett you will love her, she is awesome.
    Keep me updated on Millie girl. Love the video. So glad to see the incision looks so great!

    ReplyDelete