(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Good Idea?

Today marks day 6 after Millie's first round of chemo.  I think it is safe to say she has had no obvious side effects.  She may have been a touch sleepy, but really...Millie generally is sleepy.  She had a day or two of an ever so slight upset stomach, but I am attributing that to the extra special Valentine stuffed KONG.  

She has been getting around really, really well.  She easily jumps on the bed (though it is still on the ground), and can easily get herself on the couch.  She turns, sits down, stands up, and goes potty like a three legged pro.  As she continues to figure this out, I am beginning to calm down.  She no longer panics when I leave her in the crate.  As a result I can go to the grocery store, on a date with Evan, or to work without having an anxiety attack.  

Since her surgery, I've had her sleep in bed with me each night.  As you can imagine, that limits the space in the bed quite a bit.  I'd like a bit more leg room, but I'm not ready to be (nor do I think I will ever really be) a no dog in the bed kind of person.  I love having my dogs snuggle in bed.  As a way to get more space, but to keep them close, I decided to buy a nice dog bed & position it right next to the bed.  I wanted something orthopedic, waterproof, and a decent size.  Dog beds that meet all three of those were somewhere between $200-$350.  Yikes.  I decided that I needed to get creative.  I went to Target & purchased a crib mattress, waterproof mattress pad & fitted sheet.  Perfect & all three were just under $100.  I was so pleased with myself!  I made the bed & placed it right next to mine.  Sugar immediately hopped on the dog bed & laid down.  Millie gave it the stink eye.  Five minutes later & Sugar was off the dog bed and on mine. 


I told Millie to get off of my bed & invited her onto the dog bed.  She did everything she could to avoid it.  I finally got her to step on it & I could see why she wasn't a fan.  The springs in the mattress moved around her paw, and it was clear that the bed wasn't really all that supportive. 


Four days later, and Millie is still giving the dog bed the stink eye...


Sugar doesn't weigh enough to make the bed give at all, so it really is like laying on the floor for her.  Millie is too heavy, so the springs awkwardly give around her feet.  Ugh, not so perfect plan.  The new idea is to top the mattress with memory foam.  I ordered a 2" thick crib size memory foam topper.  I'm hoping that it will make the bed a bit more comfy for Shugs, but also make it a bit more stable for Millie.  I guess we'll see how it goes once I add that on.  

Look how furry her booty is getting!

Speaking of good ideas...I continue to be amazing & surprised by the thoughtful gestures of friends.  So many people check in on a regular basis asking how Millie is doing.  An old coworker and friend from the local dog training club gave me a very thoughtful card filled with goodies (including a gift card to Subway).  Thank you Heather!  Millie's godparents in California sent me a surprise gift certificate for a massage.  Massssssage!!!  Thank you Josephine & Lorenzo!  I am so lucky to have such supportive and thoughtful friends and family members.  Millie sends lots of slobbery kisses your way.



No comments:

Post a Comment