(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Clingy Puppy

She isn't lightening fast yet, but she is doing quite well.


Today started off just like yesterday.  We did our morning routine -- potty walk, pills, food, massage, heat pack, massage, etc.  My mom (Nana to the girlies) came around noon to hang with them while I worked a half day.  Trying to cram 8 hours of work into 4-4.5 makes for a busy day.  I spoke to my boss about the rest of the week & she approved half days through Friday.  After work, I took care of some dogsitting, picked up dinner for Nana & I, and came back home.  As expected, the day had gone well.  Millie relaxed next to Nana & took it easy (as she should).  Nana left & our day continued with the normal routine -- potty walks, pills, food, massage, etc.  

A few hours later Mil got up to re-position herself.  She's quite good at getting herself up, and I've been letting her do it on her own so she can continue to build up her muscles in her right rear.  She stood up, started to adjust & her right leg got really shaky all of the sudden.  She didn't fall, but was clearly unsteady.  A look of panic flashed in her face.  I steadied her & helped her lay down.  I brushed it off quicker than she did.  She stuck to me like glue for the next several hours.  

On our next potty walk she was rocking & rolling.  She can really get moving if she wants to.  I am still using a sling for her (and will likely continue this for quite some time) when we go out, but I was the one holding her back.  She wasn't phased by the earlier stumble in confidence at all.

I guess I need to remember that this cycle will likely continue over and over again...for weeks...the rest of her life?  I am so lucky that I not only can spend half the day with her, but that I also have Nana willing to puppysit for the hours I need to be gone.  I know I can't take half days forever, but I'm so happy that we can be here for her as she continues to build her confidence as a three legged puppy.  I can't believe it's already been a week since her surgery.  

A gift from auntie MK (thank you!!).  Go tripawds!  This will go right next to my "Got Drool" Mastiff decal on my car.  So cute -- almost looks like a Millie/Sugar combo, right?

 Bruising is almost gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment