(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog Day

As predicted, last night wasn't an easy one...but it wasn't too bad either.  Just before bed Millie realized she was a little hungry after all.  Evan hand fed her some dry food & treats.  She didn't eat much, but it was something.



At 1am, we were finally set for bed.  The cats were locked out of the bedroom, Millie was positioned on her side so I could spoon her, Evan on the other side & Sugar at the end of the bed.  I made Mil wear her e-collar just in case I slept soundly & she got the urge to pester the incision.  However, sleeping with a dog who has an e-collar the size of a satellite dish is no easy task.

 At 2:30 she needed to pee.  At 4:30 she needed to pee again.  She doesn't give much warning & because it takes her a decent amount of time to make the journey outside, every second counts.  The earlier trip I wasn't able to put shoes on.  It was all I could do to get pants on before heading out.  At 4:30 I was able to put tennis shoes on, but apparently stepped in dog poop during this trip (didn't realize it till this morning when I saw Hallie trying to bury the shoe).

Millie is still getting the hang of walking on three legs.  My body (shoulders especially) are super sore from supporting her.  I can't even imagine how sore she is.  Her chest, back and legs must be on fire.  Part of her physical therapy is massage, and now I can see why.  She loves the rub down & I hope it is doing her some good.  At this point, she is positioning her right rear leg under her belly so that her ankle is pointing in & her foot is pointed out.  She still gets tired very quickly, but I can't blame her.  She's been through a lot.

Today was truly a groundhog day for us.  I rotated through the same few things over and over again.  Walk Millie, attempt to feed Millie, medicate, ice pack, massage, range of motion, rest, give her a drink, walk her, attempt to feed, etc.  Her appetite still isn't great, but that is also improving.  She ate two chicken breasts, about 1/2 cup of dry food, and 5 or 6 treats.  She is still drinking a ton of water, which I suspect is due to a combination of exhaustion & maybe side effects of her meds.

All in all, she is doing very well.  She is the perfect patient.  She might lay down in a way that isn't very comfortable & just give me a look.  I gently pick up her booty & rotate her body.  Once she's comfy, I always get a tail wag & kiss as my payment.  She is great for her icing & loves to be right next to me.  Even though she doesn't have the best appetite, I can tell she wants to eat that last bite just to make me happy.  My little stink is such a good girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment