(photo credit: Geoffrey Tischman)

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Celebrating Life - Sugar's 13th Birthday


I have always made an effort to celebrate my dog's and cat's birthdays.  Sometimes it is as simple as a few extra treats & a walk.  Other times, dog friends are invited over for a party.  Following Millie's diagnosis, I vowed to make the most out of every day with my girls.  Sugar turned 13 today.  I can't believe my baby girl is 13.  I wanted to do something special to celebrate, and I knew my girls would be up for the challenge of "helping" me along the way.  Just two more years till her Quinceanera!

First up, we have some doggie cupcakes...or as I've been calling them - pupcakes!!

Pupcakes
  • 2 1/2 cups of uncooked oats
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 2 tsp of flaxseeds
  • 1/2 cup of peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup of agave syrup or honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine dry ingredients in one bowl & wet ingredients in another.
                            
Mix the two together.  I found it was easy enough to mix with a spatula - no mixer required. 

To make treats in the shape of a cupcake, I used a small cookie dough scoop and small silicone muffin pan.  Starting on the far right I filled the well and pressed with my fingers to tightly mold it.  Next (middle), I placed another scoop of the mixture on top.  Finally (left), I pressed the loose mixture tightly on top of the already compressed bottom half to form one, compact treat.

Bake at 350 degrees until browned & dry.  I baked mine for roughly 35 minutes.

Once the pupcakes have cooled....decorate!!  I used a thin layer of almond bark (veterinarian approved) and regular sprinkles.  I also found some adorable mini cupcake liners to pop the finished cupcakes into.  

Cinnamon Bites
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 T honey
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine dry ingredients (except cinnamon) in one bowl & wet ingredients (except honey) in another.

 Mix dry and wet ingredients just until the dough comes together.  On a floured surface, roll out dough until you have reached an 8 x 14 inch rectangle.  Spread honey over dough & sprinkle with cinnamon.  

Starting on long side, roll dough like a jelly roll.

Use dental floss to cut dough log into roughly 1/2 inch pieces.

 Place sliced dough on parchment paper lined baking sheet.  

 Bake for 18-20 minutes.  The honey will start to ooze out.  Cool on the baking sheet before removing them.

Peanut Butter Biscuits
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/4 cup of uncooked oats
  • 1/4 cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut
  • 1/2 T baking powder
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine dry ingredients in one bowl & wet ingredients in another.

 Mix all ingredients together.  Roll out dough on a floured surface until it is about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.  With a floured cookie cutter, cut out desired shapes.  

 Place on an unlined baking sheet, fairly close together- they will keep their shape & not spread.

 Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown.

 Serve as is, or you can use the dough to make other shapes (keep in mind you will have to cook these longer to make sure the middle of the treat is dry).

 Or...you can keep them as is & decorate them!



Now for the cleanup!!!!  Check out that drool slinger mid-flight!

Teamwork
 Must. Shove. Nose. Further...
Top lip covering the lip of the jar.

Annnnnd because this post is short on pictures..... a few more pictures of my adorable girlies..




 You didn't tell me that was the last of the peanut butter...









 So, I can't just eat treats for dinner?

The party animals are all tuckered out


No comments:

Post a Comment